Romayne Wheeler spends much of the year performing concerts around the world to benefit the Tarahumara. in doing so, he has built a network of supporters and friends who organize concerts and fundraisers, and who donate generously.
Recently, Romayne built a 7 room Medical Center in his remote hamlet of Retosachi. The Medical Center is also a storage and distribution point for food and other commodities in short supply.
The Tarahumara Relief Fund is used to:
Operate the Retosachi Medical Center
- Staff the Center with a live-in nurse who will provide basic medical services to over 400 families
- Reduce infant mortality (now 50% by age 10)
- Practice preventive medicine including vaccinations
- Incorporate appropriate tradicional herbal medicine
- Provide health education.
- Transport critical patients for advanced care.
- Coordinate a visiting dentist program.
Foster Development For Sustainability
- Educate Tarahumara for the moderns world and introduce technology to foster self-sufficiency.
- Fund scholarships for secondary, technical and graduate studies to gain needed skills.
- Maintain a parasite-free water supply to homes.
- Capture and store rooftop rain for family gardens
- Introduce irrigation, composting and intensive cultivation methods to multiply garden productivity.
Provide Famine And Other Relief
- Sustain the community for an independent future
- Deliver and distribute beans, corn and other staples
- Provide blankets and other assistance as needed
Foundation operating costs include medical supplies & pharmaceuticals, transport of patients, water tanks & pipe, fence to exclude animals from gardens, irrigation equipment, tools, food, blankets and much more.